Student ID Card
First-Years & Transfer Students
ID cards are distributed as part of your Summer Orientation Check-In process based on your scheduled session through Orientation & New Student Programs.
Unless directed otherwise by your school, a photo must be uploaded by July 14th for the advance production of your ID. Many Graduate programs distribute IDs as part of their orientation schedule. Please check closely for communications from your school or program regarding where to obtain your ID if you do not already have an ID.
If you are a readmitted graduate student and still have your prior ID, there is no need for a new ID. Your existing ID will work upon the start of your program.
For those Graduate IDs not being distributed by the respective school, IDs can be obtained at the ID Office without an appointment beginning August 1st. The Academic ID Office is located at 525 McCormick Road.
WHAT DO I NEED?
A valid government-issued photo identification is required to obtain your University ID card.
Valid Forms of Photo ID
- Valid Forms of Photo ID
- U.S. Driver's License issued by DMV
- U.S. Identification Card issued by DMV
- U.S. Permanent Resident Card
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security Card
- U.S. Green Card
- U.S. Military ID Card
- Passport Book
Note: Driver's License's stamped "void" and Passport "cards" cannot be accepted. See here for Information on obtaining a U.S. Driver's License or U.S. Photo Identification card from DMV.
Important: The name on your government-issued photo identification must match the name in the University's database exactly.
ID Card Uses
As a student, your card will provide you access and services from the following departments as well as a payment option through Cavalier Advantage:
- Building Access
- Library Access and borrowing privileges
- Dining through Meal Plans, Flex Dollars & Cavalier Advantage
- Bookstore and Cavalier Computers
- University Transit
- Printing and Copying Services
- UVA Recreation Facilities
- Student Health and Wellness Center
- Laundry and Vending Machines
- Newcomb Hall Post Office
- Admission to athletic events